Wednesday, March 9, 2011

BBQ Benefit for my mom

A little over a month ago, I got some bad news...my mom has cancer. It was very scary but I tried to hold it together and be strong for my mom. She is very lucky that the kind of cancer she has does not require her to have to undergo chemo or radiation but she will have to have surgery. The cancer has not spread through her body or into her lymph nodes. It is contained in a small area in one breast. It was through a mammogram that this was detected. Early detection is a blessing. As a matter of fact, my mom has now been an advocate to get a yearly mammogram....something I need to do.

It has been such a blessing that she found a home in the church that Scott and I regulary attend. She has been an active member, even going on a mission trip to Haiti last November. The group that she went on the trip with have been such a blessing in her life. As soon as they found out about her cancer, they quickly (and I mean in a matter of 2 weeks) organized a BBQ Benefit for my mom's medical expenses. I cannot tell you how Thankful we all were that these wonderful people gave so selfishly their time to dedicate this for my mom. On this day, the sun was shining, there was a light breeze in the air and there were waves of awesome people in the community coming out to help a woman they did not know.

One of the families I saw there brought their family to eat and they sat on the lawn. I went and introduced myself and thanked them for their support. They explained to me that they were driving by and saw the signs and wanted to support others in the community because so many had supported them. They introduced me their little girl. She was 4 and her name was Nicole. She was wearing a cute hat and did not have any hair. Everytime I think of her I say a little prayer for them. I say lot's of prayers for my mom too as she still has a journey ahead of her. Her surgery for a double masectomy is scheduled for March 25th so please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Photobucket

Papaw did a good job of putting up with the kids...
Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...