Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Back in Time

Call me crazy but some days I wish it were the 1950's.  I think I could live in that time frame.  The men went to work and took care of the family financially while the women took care of the kids and household.  There really wasn't a choice in the matter, it's just how things in the mainstream were done.  I've always struggled with working or staying home with the kids.  While I feel it's so important to be at home with the kids, it's also hard to make it on one salary alone.  I don't really know if times were easier back then but they sure seem simpler.  I feel like there is so much competition amoung us today...with our kids, with ourselves, with eachother.  I fall into this way of thinking myself.  Sometimes, it's hard not to get caught up in who has what and where they've been and what their kids have.  I'm not proud of it and it's something I am constantly working on to change within myself.

I talk about our year in Arizona often because it was a year of such a happy time in my life.  I loved the location, the weather, the views.  It was something I could count on everyday.  I would take Hayley and Hannah to school and turn the corner and there was the sun hitting the side of the mountains just right.  It was a beautiful sight and I truly miss it.  Being in Arizona also allowed me to be a stay-at-home mom and I adored this!  I took the kids to school and picked them up.  I spent time with Holly everyday.  I made all of our meals.  I packed good lunches for the girls to eat at school.  I helped them make projects for school without feeling rushed for time.  I volunteered in the classroom.  I loved taking care of my family.  I loved having the time to take care of them the way it should be.  I was organized, the house was always clean and we had a home cooked meal almost every night.  These days, I can barely kiss them good night because I'm exhausted and I made a home cooked meal for the first time (last night) in a long time.
Photobucket
So after all this (long exasperated) story, I really think I would have been a good June Cleaver...minus the short hair! Dressed up, high heels, wearing pearls with a spatula in hand....Yes, I could do that and would be happy to!
Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...